This Where the Nonsense Turns to Makesense

..A large family working to perfect our sweet skills: Loving others, making an impact, parenting on purpose, living simply, and embracing sarcasm.

Monday, September 09, 2013

New Trends

There are trends and happenings and goings on around me that I don't totally understand. I will admit that there are a few times, when listening to teenagers, I feel old because I don't totally understand what is playing out. For instance, Gangnam Style.

There have been plenty of opportunities for this song and dance style in my life, but they were all mocking. Was I supposed to really like this song? I feel like the only one who got the joke, but maybe the joke is really on me because that music is off the chain. I don't even know what I am saying now. Totally grasping at straws to seem rad… no? Too soon?

Another trend that befuddles me is the return of mom jeans. Seriously, people who make clothes popular?? Yah. Im talking to YOU. Why would you do this? It's cruel. Our teens look weird. Mom jeans are NOT the same as high waisted pants. Classic women from decades past have brilliantly pulled off high waisted shorts, pants, and skirts. This isn't what you are doing. You are buying the most mocked jeans of the century, and then you cut them and make them what will likely turn into the most mocked shorts in history. No ones pockets should be that high. There should NEVER be pleats in your jeans. And you shouldn't create hips because you managed to cinch your belt. (Which actually creates pleats and gives me heart issues). If Saturday Night Live has done a comedy sketch simply to make mock of a clothing item. I think that's a good indication that we need to let this trend die. Do it for the children. Do it for my eyes.


No.








 Yes.



















THESE ARE NOT CREATED EQUALLY.

One last thought, which isn't really a trend at all, but a reoccurring happening is my morning sneezes. About ten or fifteen every morning. What. Is. HAPPENING? Seriously. I am waking up because I am sneezing. I'm asleep. And then I sneeze. And then I wake up. How? Why? What do I do? Oh. And it's at five EVERY morning. Five. In the aye em. An hour and fifteen minutes before my alarm. This trend is just rude. 

Did I miss something? Are there other trends that make you want to punch a kitten? I didn't even bring up Honey Boo Boo. The previews gross me out. I can't even watch the previews. 

5 comments:

Mothering with Creativity said...

Haha! You are so great. I hate sneezing. I think Gagnam is hysterical. I won't wear high wasted pants, stylish or not.

You're not on FB, so you're probably missing out on the "old" people who are now constantly posting selfies, often with puckered duck lips. Seriously. It's weird (and when I say "old", I mean like the 25-40 range). It was always weird when teens did it, but there are a few people my age (27) and older who seem to think this is the cool thing to do, and for reals, I'm about to block some friends from my news feed because I just. can't. handle. it. anymore. It's not cool. It's weird. Stop it.

shontell said...

Aha that is so weird! Sometimes the teenager and I will strike a pose as if we are taking a picture, and then we get very serious. We think we are hysterical. Also. We do not call them selfies. That's gross.

Erica said...

I had never even heard of gangum style till one day my mom was telling me about it, that's just sad, and my 6 year old daughter, at the time pipes in and said, "oh yah, mom, I've heard that song." Seriously my mom and daughter. What in the world. I may need to get out more.

No(dot dot)el said...

This post made me chuckle. The mom's jeans thing seriously is SO true! I started laughing when my girls were scouring the thrift store for old levi's that they could make into cut offs. I have to say though, if I tried to fit into anything that would go around my waist instead of below, I'm not sure at this stage in life I could wear mom jeans, even IF I tried.

shontell said...

No(dot dot)el haha I feel like we have done this generation a disservice by not explaining enough how scary this trend was the first time around.