This Where the Nonsense Turns to Makesense

..A large family working to perfect our sweet skills: Loving others, making an impact, parenting on purpose, living simply, and embracing sarcasm.

Thursday, July 14, 2016

Christian Americans, God Doesn't Care About Your Rights


Ok, that's a lie. Thank you for reading.

Kidding. But only a little. I was reading through Paul's story, thoughtful about the state of things. Our political world feels like a nightmare squeezed into a garbage disposal with a fish head and a ten day old piece of chicken no one knew fell behind the couch. It's not good.

"Am I not as free as anyone else?" 1 Cor. 9:1

I can only speak for myself when I say I am fearful. Not about where our country is going. It's going to go wherever God allows it. Having fear that reeks of sin and faithlessness. I trust God. Especially since I've studied so much about the presidents from our past. Holy weirdos, Batman, we have had some doozies. We just never had social media to boost it up so much.

"Yet I have never used any of these rights." 1 Cor. 9:14

No, the fear that's eating at me is all about losing my rights. I find that animal rearing it's prideful head inside my chest anytime I give in to curiosity and read a political article. Why do I do it. That isn't even a question, that's how "not for me" I think those articles are. Media is going to be media--stop being surprised by that.

"That's why I never demand my rights when I preach the Good News." 1 Cor. 9:18

But I let it in and can't help thinking, "what about my rights? They can't do that. A president can't just come in and do whatever he wants. This is America! I have rights! Go back to where you came from, Dictator Carl!!"

(Side note: when people bother me, I give them fictitious names to help be deal with their issues aka my issues.)

"Even though I am a free man with no master, I have become a slave to all people to bring many to Christ." 1 Cor. 9:19

I've realized I am so concerned with my rights. My. Me. Oh the selfishness revealed. I should probably write a thank you note to these very politicians for helping me see how selfish I really am. At least they wear their junk out in the open.

"When I am with those who are weak, I share their weakness, for I want to bring the weak to Christ. Yes, I try to find common ground with everyone, doing everything I can to save some. I do everything to spread the Good News and share in its blessings." 1 Cor. 9:22-23

Always a Work in Progress,

Nonsense

We love sharing; Won't you share us?

1 comment:

Kathy of hte HavinsNest said...

Thank you for articulating what is floating around in my head.