This Where the Nonsense Turns to Makesense

..A large family working to perfect our sweet skills: Loving others, making an impact, parenting on purpose, living simply, and embracing sarcasm.

Wednesday, May 06, 2009

Women on Retreat

Back 2 Basics





So a few of my Vegas friends and I decided we need a retreat involving women only. Their church (my former church) usually puts one on in the spring, but some didn't want to go or couldn't because of some thing or other. They regularly host the best retreats EVER, so we copied the elements and put a Reno twist on everything. We had retreat goodie bags, personalized tees (mine had a tree, of course :)), and we had worship cds. The only thing we were missing was a loathsome, horribly cheesy song to begin each session- by choice. We opted also to fore go skits, as we didn't feel we were old enough to be a part of them. js.

Friday night was my night. I made a super delish Italian dinner, taught on getting back to the basics (retreat theme) and trusting that God is sufficient and what happens when we forget that, and we had worship time. It was loverly. We ended the night with Mr. McConaughey in Ghosts of Girlfriends Past. It wasn't great, but it was still a fun time. Boardman and I fell asleep throwing Forrest Gump movie quotes back and forth.




Saturday morning began with my NV Law test. I tried to be a giver and have my pastor take it for me, because he loves him some history and nerdery, but he wasn't up for it. When I got back to the Sierra Street Retreat, breakfast was waiting, prepared by Hot Hands herself. AH delish. She taught on interceding via prayer, and it was great!








Next, we got dolled up, and Jess taught us the skills we have been lacking: home organization, that cleanliness is truly in God's plan, and how to take a great picture! None of us are exactly the model types, but obviously, with my photography skills, I was able to help everyone LOOK amazing! Especially Chalk-outline-Jessie. Check her out for all your photography needs.






These pics are some samples.






All of that took the bulk of the day and night. Boardman, as featured above and below, made a scrumptious dinner of grilled cheesers and tomato soup. In the morning, before church, she brought our teachings to a close with an excellent reminder of when and why Jesus washed the disciples feet. She talked about Peter and his roll in Jesus' impromptu teaching. My favorite line was when she said "we should be willing to do these same menial tasks for our friends as well." It's true. We really should.




You girls make for the best retreat ever. JayEhs.

6 comments:

No(dot dot)el said...

really great pics. looks like it was a great time had by all. you vegas girls are CRAZY!! how could it not be a good time?
funny when they all came in on sunday i was like, oh what a cute group of girls they are all matching just to go to church. like a sunday go to meeting kind of group, now it all makes sense. :)

shontell said...

It was like an AA meeting only different because we all have to wear matching clothes, and I get to point out people's hearts of stone from the stage.

scoeyd said...

I told you I'd take the test. You just had to TELL me when it was... CHEEZE! I miss that stuff. I'd have totally passed too.

Erica said...

sounds like a blast! I missed the matching outfits at church.

shontell said...

Scoey- I'll give you cheeze!

Erica- I will wear my shirt again, so you can get a small glimspe of the greatness.

A Bit Of Everything said...

Great fun friend! I am glad you had a blast!