This Where the Nonsense Turns to Makesense

..A large family working to perfect our sweet skills: Loving others, making an impact, parenting on purpose, living simply, and embracing sarcasm.

Wednesday, May 11, 2011

FYI


You shouldn't look like this. But that isn't what I came here to say. I just wanted to say, in case no one ever told you, taking time to care for yourself isn't selfish. Men don't think so; I believe this is only a motherly way of thinking. I was watching the Biggest Loser, which is something I do on Tuesdays, and a lady on there misguidedly said, "Sometimes you have to be selfish and take care of yourself. If you don't take care of yourself, you can't be available to take care of your family." I feel her first sentence was a commonly spouted statement. I feel like her second sentence actually disproved her first sentence.

What is so selfish about wanting to take care of my family? It's not as if I am hoping to care for them so they make me look good. Frankly when I go places with my children people look at me like I am insane, crazy, annoying, imposing, and just plane dumb. Not looking good.

I need to take care of me in order to take care of them. I want to take care of me because I want to feel healthy, and because I want my husband to think I am hot. I have to take care of me because God has made me a mother to five kids, and I don't shirk on a job that important.
I am not a martyr; God never asked me to slave and grovel and work until I nearly die just to care for everyone else around me. He asked me to love. I am not selfish. I am a giver.

No comments: