This Where the Nonsense Turns to Makesense

..A large family working to perfect our sweet skills: Loving others, making an impact, parenting on purpose, living simply, and embracing sarcasm.

Monday, August 21, 2006

Prayer

I was reading about Solomon tonight. Not so much Moses and Noe(dot dot)l's kid as the king from the biblio. (for all of you who don't know EL NINO is Spanish for THE NINO!!)
Anyhoo, I was reading and was struck by what a great example of prayer he gives us. When Solomon has his dream and God is telling him to ask for whatever Solomon wishes, he replies with "discernment." I love it. And God was faithful right away. When the two women come in with the fued over the baby. God gave him great wisdom. I want wisdom. I want to settle squabbles between my kids in a way they learn a profound message everytime. Not just so they will call me pretty, but that they will grow up and think of their mom when they are teaching their own kids.

8 comments:

Jeni said...

Then again, if your kids call you pretty, that is probably a good thing, too! :)

scoeyd said...

first, you need a sword.
I believe this makes every lesson memorable. Just carry it with you when the kids want you to decide a squabble that has inevitably arisen, you bring out the sword, & tell them, "I know how I can solve this."

Its amazing how smart a sword can make you.

No(dot dot)el said...

ha!!! still laughing from louie's comment. yes, well i want that too shontell. good thoughts. ya know somedays i think i speak with the wisdom of solomon and others not so much. always good though to pray for more wisdom when raising so many lil ones. Lord knows we need it!!!

Joelle said...

Your kiddos will remember all of your wisdom but more so the humor that came with it! 2 more days!

Chemane said...

You women are amazing! I am content when I can settle a squabble without resorting to saying "Do I need to call Dad about this!??"

shontell said...

HA! I have a sword. well, not like the sword you were given from your friend, but a plastic one. I could just threaten to WAP them. lol

David said...

You could do like the patriarch of the Blume family on "Arrested Development" and hire a man to show up and lose his arm in order to illustrate your point. For instance, if your kids are yelling in the car, you call the guy and he shows up, loses his arm, and then you turn around and say, "You see why you don't yell in the car?"

shontell said...

ROFL!!! niiiice! I wonder if I can get my sister's old air conditioner guy. Right after her son said he saw some funny man in his closet the air guy rang the bell. He had a hook for a hand. I think she peed her pants lol