This Where the Nonsense Turns to Makesense

..A large family working to perfect our sweet skills: Loving others, making an impact, parenting on purpose, living simply, and embracing sarcasm.

Tuesday, July 03, 2007

HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO YOOOOU!

Samuel Fisher has turned one!! YAY, Baby. We played in the sprinklers and that ginormous ball in the picture. We grilled and just spent time together as a family. It was relaxed and perfect. His birthday presents included this sweet speedo, a push walker, a John Deer tractor to ride along on, squeaky blocks that Moby can't seem to leave alone, and an insane spinning toy that makes way too much noise for a children's toy.

My mother got him these speedos. They are really only appropriate on little boys under two.
Sam is just starting to take steps. We got him this walker hoping to help him along. Notice the ensamble: speedo, push toy, princess wand. I love it. Fascinated by the fire from his candle, he became a little violent when I pushed it away from him.
Mike decided Sam needed to celebrate his first birthday as a man; we had grilled corn, steaks, and beer.
MMMMM. Finally a taste of birthday cake. I decided to steal my brother's tradition and make Sam a JELLO cake each year for his birthday.
I have now celebrated our last first bday. sigh. It is nice, but a little sad. We are teaching our last baby to walk, eat, and make kissy noises. I talked to a friend today who said she thought about writing a book called Eighteen Christmases. She said that is really all we have with them. I got teary immediately. Even though I have been awake with Samuel for the past two nights while he is teething, I am working hard to cherish every moment. Even the not so fun ones.

1 comment:

No(dot dot)el said...

Happy Birthday Samuel from the Scofield crew. Hard to believe that you are 1 already.
Shontell can you please relate the message above to the lil man as only a mother of 5 can do.
It is amazing when you think of it that way...only 18 everythings and when they are all so close like our kids are it happens so fast you could almost feel like it's all a dream. You do have to work really , really hard to take it all in and cherish the moments but tis worth the hard work.
Happy last first birthday my friend and as abit of encouragement I have changed no diapers in 3 weeks+ what a beautiful thing after 9 years of them :)