This Where the Nonsense Turns to Makesense

..A large family working to perfect our sweet skills: Loving others, making an impact, parenting on purpose, living simply, and embracing sarcasm.

Thursday, March 23, 2006

reflecting

So ten years ago today was a Saturday. I woke up at 5:30, made some meatballs (about 300) and tried to force myself to eat some breakfast. Toast I think. More emotions were flowing through my mind that day than the puberty years. Exhausted, anxious, excited, scared, a little sad, joy, overwhelmed. It was all very sureal. I remember thinking I would never make it this far. A week before I was driving for my final fitting in the fast lane on the freeway. A car in the opposite direction came up onto the block wall divider and slid for about a hundred feet. His mirror, antenna, and a whole lot of his paint showered my car. I could see him. Looked right in his eyes. I prayed...more like, "Jesus, no." And at the last second before our windshields collided he flipped back down into his lane. I think my heart started beating. It must have, right? All girls have a breaking point before such a big event. Mine came the next morning. It was okay though. It was only the second time in two years I needed to cry, and he was there. Just there next to me. Reassuring me, not fixing me. It worked. We made it to Saturday, meatballs, decorating, hairdos and nail appointments. Juggling everything. I felt like a ring leader at a circus. A very chaotic circus. But then that part of the movie comes. You know when you see him and everything else becomes blury. The grip on my Father's arm was so tight. Almost like i wasn't ready to let go. There were so many faces, at least the pictures tell me there were. I could only see one. That one. The one that would be mine forever. My kisses. My winks. I think I was walking. These are the details you lose within the movie blur. I made it. WE made it. There was talk of rings. There was something about pancakes :) and then there was "You may kiss the bride." Perfect. I don't remember anything. Just that it was perfect....and finished. Thanks for the perfect day. Happy 10th anniversary honey :)

9 comments:

No(dot dot)el said...

congrats you two,i know mike doesn't read these things so tell him for me. mike and shontell are one of my favorite people!!

moses said...

i phased out about half way through your blog, did you say you forgot your vows?

TimmyMac said...

I loved this. Sue and I celebrate 10 years this fall.

Jeni said...

AWWW! Happy Anniversary!
You know, if you expanded on that story it would be good material for a certain writing blog I know... :)

Congrats on 10 years!

shontell said...

:) thanks all. noel i like your phrasing. we are one of your favorite people. cause we are cleaved you know :)

moses. you suck.

J15 said...

Shontell, what a beautiful and well written post. Thank you for blessing me with it, and for prompting me to relive memories of my wedding day.

digapigmy said...

um, did you get in a car accident. this post just flew way over my head. happy anniversary though

shontell said...

sigh. brent. ::head shake:: some one please! help here. lol just joking. no i never actually got hit. i just had a huge truck flying at my face for what seemed like eternity. it's all good.

shontell said...

thanks karen and hey, that disclaimer was helpful.