This Where the Nonsense Turns to Makesense

..A large family working to perfect our sweet skills: Loving others, making an impact, parenting on purpose, living simply, and embracing sarcasm.

Thursday, May 15, 2008

The Screwtape Letters-Letter 22


This is an excerpt from C.S. Lewis' Screwtape Letters. If you haven't read this book, DO IT DO IT DO IT. It is a fictitious collection of letters written from a demon named Screwtape to his nephew, Wormwood. Screwtape is aiding Wormwood in his attempts to corrupt Wormwood's "patient." The girl in the passage is the "patient's" girlfriend.

I hope someTHING somewhere is saying this about me (well, maybe not the virginal part as much):

I have looked up this girl's dossier, and I am horrified at what I find. Not only a Christian, but such a Christian- a vile, sneaking, simpering, demure, monosyllabic, mouse-like, watery, insignificant, virginal, bread and butter miss. The little brute; she makes me vomit. She stinks and scalds through the very pages of the dossier. It drives me mad the way the world has worsened. We'd have had her to the arena in the old days. That's what her sort is made for. Not that she'd do much good there, either. Two faced little cheat; I know the sort, who looks as if she'd faint at the sight of blood and then dies with a smile. A cheat every way. Looks as if butter wouldn't melt in her mouth and yet has a satirical wit. The sort of creature who'd find me funny! Filthy, insipid little prude. And yet, ready to fall into this booby's arms like any other breeding animal.

6 comments:

Unknown said...

what do you mean? This is how I introduce you to people!

digapigmy said...

if i had a dollar for every time someone said, "oh, you mean that filthy insipid little prude?" when i mention you . . .

Jenene said...

(snicker) "I have looked up this girl's dossier"

If I had a dollar for every time I heard a guy say that about YOU!

A Bit Of Everything said...

Ya, and have you found a little of "you" in there......common, just a little! WAKE UP! Loving it! HEE HEE

shontell said...

AHAHAAAAAAAHAHAAA I love that I can post a section of a book that was so meaningful to me, and you ALL can just mock me. Does life GET any happier?

Jenene said...

Hey, YOU started it with the "virginal" thing!