This Where the Nonsense Turns to Makesense

..A large family working to perfect our sweet skills: Loving others, making an impact, parenting on purpose, living simply, and embracing sarcasm.

Wednesday, July 30, 2008

Don't Roll Your Eyes at Me (aka Why I Like Mike)

The other day at Target, I was supposed to go to the Customer Service desk and pay my bill. I didn't bring the bill in with me, so I stepped out of line just as the worker lady was summoning me to come to the counter to call my husband on my cellular telephone. I stepped aside and told the man behind me that he could go because I think it is rude to be on the phone when you are conducting business with someone else. The obviously really joyfilled worker lady gave me the dirtiest look, rolled her eyes, and shook her head over what I can only interpret as her inability to understand what courtesy is. My answer was to point at her with my arm extended and say to Isabelle in a loud voice, "Izzy, do you see that lady? Now, I was trying to be considerate and let the man behind us go so I didn't have to talk on the phone while she was helping us, and because she is small minded, she rolled her eyes and gave me a dirty look instead of giving me the benefit of the doubt. That, Isabelle, is very rude behavior. Please do not grow up to act like that." While I was saying all of this, my husband had picked up his end of the telephone and listened quietly. Then HE said, "oh my gosh, can that lady hear what you are saying? You are so rude. Please stop talking." To which I cracked right up in laughter.

15 comments:

digapigmy said...

nice. how was the service she gave you after that?

i'll have to give you the benefit of the doubt as far as showing up to target to pay a bill and getting in line without having your crap together.

No(dot dot)el said...

you are scary. seriously, i am so glad we are friends.

laura said...

tsk, tsk, we are supposed to be LOVING people, remember???
I love how direct you are, I am not confident enough to be direct, I would have definitely met that situation with sarcasm.

Jenene said...

:::snort::: I can totally picture you standing there with your phone to your ear, kind of bent over a bit, pointing with your LONG finger and can TOTALLY hear you saying that!

Was Izzy standing there all attentive like Nellie Olsen?

I heart haters.

Jessie said...

you are my favorite. because of this. :)

Murdoc said...

And then the target lady pulled out a gat from behind the counter & busted a cap. Wait, this wasn't in sparks.

Anonymous said...

You know. I have worked in the retail service before, and it irks me when people are on their cells. Maybe you should have told her "Sorry I don't have MY things together like I should, so maybe you could attend this gentleman?" I bet she would have reacted differently. Just a thought. BTW, I love your blog.

shontell said...

I might have said that ( I highly doubt it because no one actually talks like that in public unless they are King James) but I wasn't anywhere near her. I was waaaay back in line by that little sign that tells me to wait there until I am called. She had just looked up from what she was doing, I stepped aside, and told the man behind me to go. Seriously this is a case of "she is a crazy lady."

Liz said...

Holy Moly...I love it!!! And I can totally picture Mike...and his horrified knowledge that you were indeed within earshot of the nasty Target woman. Of course, I can also see both you and I doing that back in the serving days too....lol. That was just what I needed to read today. Thanks Friend.

scoeyd said...

I think you could have used this post as one of your "Why I Like Mike" posts...

shontell said...

AHahaha!! YES I will rename it. He is good at reigning me in.

A Bit Of Everything said...

OMGoddness Gracious! I had the same experience when I was visiting my mother. Please note, my mother is loosing her hearing, so she raises her voice alot without realizing it and repeats (as she feels we don't hear her). Anyway, we were at Taco Bell ordering and she kept interrupting and giving her order while I was giving mine with my children's. The look and subtle body language the cashier taking our order was so obvious. I apologized and asked her to repeat our order when we were done. She rolled her eyes and repeated the order. She missed the children's drinks, so I asked her if she could add blah blah blah. Body language is sometimes WAY stronger than words. I simply smiled and said, "thank you, and as for your customer skills, you need to work on." She still got out order wrong, but ya know what? I was way past the point of going back up there. My kids and I shared an ICE TEA with smiles on.
I hear ya sista'

digapigmy said...

you probably ordered your food in english. ridiculous.

in defense of your average retail worker, however, i used to do this kind of work and you are pretty justified in assuming that the person you are about to deal with is a complete tool.

Jeni said...

I love that you said that! Why should she care who she's helping next. BTW, Target is a great place for sarcasm. Last week, I was there getting some pop and there was this lady and her husband who were blocking the aisle with their cart and themselves-- there was literally no room to pass them-- and so I politely said "Excuse me"... Three times... A little bit louder each time. They never moved. So I went through the next aisle over to go around and on the way mumbled, "Always a great idea to block the entire aisle with your cart." Apparently they heard that, because the lady yelled "F*** you!"

digapigmy said...

which is exactly why everyone at target hates all customers pretty much carte blanch. can you blame them?