This Where the Nonsense Turns to Makesense

..A large family working to perfect our sweet skills: Loving others, making an impact, parenting on purpose, living simply, and embracing sarcasm.

Tuesday, June 17, 2008

The BrewCrew on Green



Red is usually my favorite color, but lately I have been challenged to go a little greener. We (as in me) have come up with a few things to make our budget a little more comfortable, our house alittle less toxic, and try being a good steward of the earth we claim to love. I have always been a tree hugging hippie at heart, but lately I have felt a little like a talker rather than a do-er.


I want to put my green where my mouth is, so this is what we (as in me) came up with:

No more disposable water bottles- we invested three bucks into reusable water bottles.

No more paper towels- except for windexing, we use cloth towels.

No more paper napkins- cloth napkins.

Keeping it Clean- we are making our own household cleaners. My kids have successfully wasted my money with store bought cleansers and I am always freaked out Sam is going to get ahold of them. So we (as in me) made everything non toxic. Even our furniture polish and airfresheners.

Easy on the air conditioner- hopefully we can afford to get fans soon, but for now, we will just pray for a breeze.

Easy on the gasoline- prompted by an article I read this week, we are following a local Rabbi's lead and not driving at least one day a week. This one is going to be a doozy to stick to, but even if we succeed one day a month, I will save about 20 bucks!

Grocery bags are a thing of the past- despite the heavy sighs I got when the Raley's lady had to ring up my unbagged fruit, I am no longer using plastic bags for my fruits and veggies OR for my groceries. We (as in me) purchased reusable bags from Costco, and I keep them in my trunk at all times. I am in the market for smaller ones for quick grocery store and farmer's market trips.

Farmer's Market, here we come- I am a proud supporter of local and nearby farmers. We will be attending more often.

Keep it cold- All of our appliances are set to smart wash and we now do all of our laundry in cold water. I am even hoping to hang a clothes line to lessen our need for using the dryer.

Plastic v Plastic- Because I am too lazy to look for the lid I am certain I won't find, I usually put many left overs into plastic ziploc bags. I am going to do a run through on our tupperware and use them more often.

For some more ideas visit my new favorite website
http://www.treehuggingfamily.com/

4 comments:

Jeni said...

These are some really good suggestions! Thanks for sharing them!

:)

SeƱor H said...

Very good ideas indeed. But to be a true Green Tree Hugger, you now need to look down on people who aren't as eco-friendly as you are. And when you go to a friends house, within the first five minutes you need to inform them on the way they should be living. Of course it all depends on your definition of 'tree hugger'. I'm especially tired of the South Lake locals who have the Keep Tahoe Blue bumber sticker while flicking their cigarette out the window of their H2 and call themselves 'green' because they live in Tahoe.

Brian said...

This post reeks of patchouli oil. Shave your pits.

shontell said...

AHAHAAAA You wish. Funny though, my three year old just had the same recommendation for me.