This Where the Nonsense Turns to Makesense

..A large family working to perfect our sweet skills: Loving others, making an impact, parenting on purpose, living simply, and embracing sarcasm.

Monday, June 09, 2008

Summer Break





So far summer break has been a whirlwind of laziness. We have had some company, some good times, some bad times, but mostly just laziness. I don't get summer break from school, but not having to take Isabelle to school every morning at 7:15 is the best from of vacation I can even think of right now. Our first week of true summer laziness has included:
our homemade summer reading program (the kids are loving it and have read for 15 hours each so far!)
Watching movies
breakfast with Nanna at IHOP
playing at the park
running in our neighborhood

trying out the YMCA that just opened near my house
building a sweet ramp for bikes and scooters and a neighborhood full of kids
planting flowers
killing flowers we didn't realize were shade flowers
nursing an apple tree (not quite like the way Pastor Greg nursed his babies)
whining about not being able to put in a real garden like last year
the farmer's market
spending time with friends
spending time with family
Nanna taking my kids far far away so I can veg on the couch and do nothing
applying for scholarships
praying, dreaming, praying some more for clarity
a little crying
a lot of laughing
a trip to the library
lots of laundry
trading beds with our friends (possibly my favorite thing)
FINALLY realizing how I want to decorate my master bedroom
breaking the zzzzz key on my keyboard (you have no idea how long it took me to type those z's)
sleeping with the windows open
waking up to birds chirping
waking up to saws whirring and hammers doing what they do best
discovering nature trails at Frenchmen's
sidewalk chalk and
late night BBQs while vegging on our front porch and loving my ideal life.
Anything exciting in your first week of summer break?

5 comments:

Jenene said...

Ooo, my first week of summer break consisted of knee surgery. Yay.

Yours sounds nice! Wish we could sleep with the windows open. It's so hot here now.

Jessie said...

DID YOU CUT LAYLA GRACE'S HAIR?!?!!?!?!?!?!?!!?

Unknown said...

i miss reno summer! you can actually play at the park without melting into the pavement.

No(dot dot)el said...

yes, indeed gotta love the summer. it truly is my time to rejuvinate and reconnect with my kiddos on a much more lengthy level. i love it. we went to lake tahoe yesterday , does that count. mondays are our only scheduled summer day, at the lake. we are all feeling a lil sun kissed today. dag nab it!! it is hard to find a sunscreen that works on my 2 pasty white children.

TimmyMac said...

I loved "whirlwind of laziness" . . . Good writing!