This Where the Nonsense Turns to Makesense

..A large family working to perfect our sweet skills: Loving others, making an impact, parenting on purpose, living simply, and embracing sarcasm.

Wednesday, January 21, 2009

Good Morning Sunshine


6am
I wake up, eyes squinting, fighting to stay closed.
I faintly hear Squirrel sized feet stomping up the stairs- all 14 stairs.
Stomp, Stomp across the loft.
My eyes are open, I breathe deeply preparing myself to hear a very angry Squirrel.
At the top of her voice, in my very quiet, dark bedroom, CRYING CRYING ANGRY CRYING,

"MOOOMMY! I ASKED LAYLA, LAYLA WOULDN'T, I WANTED TO CHANGE MY SHIRT BECAUSE I WANTED TO WEAR A NEW SHIRT, AND LAYLA WOULDN'T WAIT FOR MEEEEE!"
I roll my eyes because I am a human, and very quietly say,
"honey, Layla Grace has a lot of things to get done in the morning.
She doesn't have time to wait for you to change your shirt. Go downstairs and eat breakfast."

I close my eyes and wonder how on earth my husband is still sleeping. I think of kicking him, but don't.

CRYING CRYING SCREAMING. Foot stomping. Elijah yelling, but I can't make out the words.
The angry squirrel is suddenly back in my room. YELLING "MOMMY!! Eli just hit Layla in the BACK!!"
I slide out of bed, roll my eyes at my husband because I am human, and walk downstairs with my eyes closed, hair probably everywhere.

"What is going on down here?" In a fake calm voice.

I am looking sternly with my one opened eye.
Sam, screaming for new cereal and more milk.
Addison yelling that Eli is naughty.
Layla screaming because she was, in fact, hit in the back by my son.
Elijah admitting whole heartedly that he hit Layla.
Isabelle yelling at the dog. "MOBY, DON'T THROW UP ON THE CARPET!MOBY YOU BETTER NOT THROW UP ON THE CARPET" She yells this repeatedly as the dog makes with the heaving.

I can hear all of it. I can see all of it. I start to cry a little, but end up laughing a little.

Still wondering how my husband is still sleeping.
Let the dog out.
Remind Sam there is no more milk.
Console him by offering him sugar to pour on his cereal because I am a mother.
Remind my son, Elijah, that he is not in charge of Layla and threaten him.
Remind Addison that she is not allowed to tell lies that convince her brother to hit her sister. Send Addison to her room.
Make coffee.
Realize I am out of creamer. Think a naughty word.
Good morning. Time to start the day.

7 comments:

Jenene said...

i LOVE the mental picture of you walking down the stairs with one eye open and your hair flying everywhere! :::snicker:::

Jenene said...

Oh, and Moby heaving like Snots under the table in Christmas Vacation. You are soooo the Griswalds. Or Cousin Eddie. I'm not sure.

Joelle said...

Love that your mornings are as hectic as ours, except that my husband gets out of bed first and wants a prize for getting the kids dressed! miss you

shontell said...

No no, SHANE is cousin Eddie. You had it right.

Murdoc said...

A naughty word like, oh my gosh?

A Bit Of Everything said...

Good Morning Starshine!

kris and mel said...

isn't motherhood lovely? aaaaaannnnnd....my word verification is TOOKIESS! i love that.