This Where the Nonsense Turns to Makesense

..A large family working to perfect our sweet skills: Loving others, making an impact, parenting on purpose, living simply, and embracing sarcasm.

Thursday, February 05, 2009

why I like Mike #20




Times like these, he surprises me by drawing close rather than letting his stress fester and grumping at the world. Last night, while we waited to hear the outcome of the next meeting regarding job stuff, we snuggled on the couch, watched our shows, and he fed me cookies. He is a giver really. At least of his cookies. (That was not intended to be a euphemism, but now that I read it, it works.) Then he said what every girl wants to hear. We were watching a beach scene on LOST where a storm was brewing, the thunder was fierce, and the lightning was beautiful. He said, "I want to sit on a beach with you and watch the storm." Happy Sigh. He likes me; he really likes me.

On the job front: We are still unsure of what is happening. We DID find out he is not of the 12 that will be laid off, but that doesn't mean he won't be affected by the lay offs. The higher ups are being political and shady. I don't know why I am amazed when adults tell out right lies, but I am. I feel like lying should be a phase that hits you in middle school, but fizzles out when you get to high school because you realize you don't have to lie to be cool.
So, for now, we wait. Which is what God reminded me of in my bible reading this week.

Exodus 14:14-16 (New International Version)
14 The LORD will fight for you; you need only to be still."

15 Then the LORD said to Moses, "Why are you crying out to me? Tell the Israelites to move on. 16 Raise your staff and stretch out your hand over the sea to divide the water so that the Israelites can go through the sea on dry ground.

I picture God saying this with a confused, furrowed brow. He may have even mumbled the word "idiots" beneath his breath as Moses turned to leave. So, I am going to try not to be God's "idiot" of the day. I am going to be low drama and return my husband's affections. :) Not a bad responsibility if you ask me.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hang in, Shonse. My own Mike is at the mercy of a few lyin'-thievin'-God-Playin' higher ups, too. We've been sweating it out since about mid December and the stress at this point is making the job not even worth the pay cut he's already gotten, much less the one that's coming any day now. He'll be laid off by March for sure. God is good. That's my mantra.
Kat

shontell said...

Love you Kitty Kat. I will be praying.

scoeyd said...

Yes. We are men of action. Lies do NOT become us...

I hate the machine... Cheers to Mike Brewer, man among boys.

Unknown said...

I LOVE the "idiot" reference. Sometimes I feel the same way... i worry about things that haven't happened, may not happen, won't ever happen, and everything in between. It's then that I hear God whisper, "trust me" ...and i am pretty sure most of the time he mumbles... "idiot" a few seconds later. sigh.

FYI: my word verification is "phoot" as in "did i just put my phoot in my mouth"?

Erica said...

Do fireman always have to come to the rescue with offering to cut more then what was asked for? I think they have a saving complex ;)

shontell said...

lol. I am glad for it. Like, when he saves me a piece of cake, or he saves me from having to get my oil changed. Telling you, this guy's a giver.