This Where the Nonsense Turns to Makesense

..A large family working to perfect our sweet skills: Loving others, making an impact, parenting on purpose, living simply, and embracing sarcasm.

Tuesday, July 19, 2005

what being a little sister means to me

i am the youngest of four children. five if you include my father and many times you need to. i am the only girl. this sets the stage I feel.
growing up i have been the one. you know what i mean?
the one who:
got beat up
blamed
had her hair flushed down the toilet
had the toy shark stuffed down her throat
had the brother who drove her hickey giving boyfriend home...alone.
had dates with her older brothers..not in a creepy way
got conned too many times to climb on the roof for the preverbial water balloon fight only to be stranded till her parents got home. just long enough to be in trouble for being on the roof.
had to lock herself in the bathroom so many times the door finally gave way and could eventually bend enough at the bottom to climb through while it remained locked because of all the ramming her brothers would do to the outside of it. mysterious.
had brothers teach her to pee standing up.
was told repeatedly that she was a robot and was going to turn off in three hours.
was told repeatedly that "you are in a coma. all of this is a dream. none of it is really happening. wake up Shontell, why wont you just wake up. we miss you!"

but now. i get to return the favors. like this weekend. my brother is coming in town and we are having a birthday party for our turtle. i love you too Kristopher. it feels good to give a little.

5 comments:

cm3 said...

I have two older sisters and one younger brother and my oldest sister told the younger sister that she was actually an ostrich that had been hatched from an egg.

shontell said...

rofl!! did she believe it. cause seriously when it got close to the three hour mark i would get a little nervous if i started to feel a little stiff.

Jeni said...

One of my cousins and I used to tell my other cousin that she was made out of clay and that if she went outside in the sun she would dry up and be stuck in that pose forever. There were many days we kept her from going outside...

scoeyd said...

being the oldest, i convinced each of my 3 brothers that they had been adopted, & that i'd seen the day when they joined the family because their previous mom didn't want them. sorry guys.

No(dot dot)el said...

Raised by boys is what I always say when you comment in ways I don't understand. Waiting for Mo to get home and enjoying going through your oldies but goodies. I was tired of making new friends. I wanted my old friend Shontelly. Love you.