This Where the Nonsense Turns to Makesense

..A large family working to perfect our sweet skills: Loving others, making an impact, parenting on purpose, living simply, and embracing sarcasm.

Wednesday, April 30, 2008

So Many People to Thank


But for today, I would like to thank the construction worker/electrician who was working on the house next door to my own. As I walked on my treadmill, I noticed him splicing wires and working hard at the edge of my driveway. Then, once he looked around to be sure no one was looking, he threw the trash from his special experiment on the sidewalk. The thank yous come in for the lesson I was able to show my son.
"See that man, Son? Do you see how he is doing his job, then looking around to make sure no one is looking? Do you know why he is doing it? He is throwing his trash on the ground because he thinks no one is looking." Then my husband went outside because I pointed this man out. My husband is good at this sly fox role so he mostly fiddled around but made himself seen by the worker. I made my son keep watching the man outside. And big surprise, the man put the rest of his trash back into his truck. Here is where I pointed out the man in the green Jeep Cherokee's integrity issues.
"See, Son, that man is only cleaning up his messes because he thinks Daddy is watching. THAT, Son, is low integrity. He isn't choosing not to litter because he thinks it is the right thing to do. He is doing it because he thinks he is going to get caught."
(My Son): Wow, Mommy. Is that why you punish me when I have bad integrity? So I will learn and not grow up to be that man?"
Me: Yes, Son.

8 comments:

scoeyd said...

And because Pastors need integrity too... good job Queenie!

shontell said...

haha yes, that is a good point.

No(dot dot)el said...

i am an ex "no one is looking throw trash on ground" person. ask moses if you don't believe me. can we still be friends??

digapigmy said...

i'm an ex throw trash on the ground even if people are looking person. and i refuse to apologize, especially since you posted that travesty that is brooke white singing the beatles on your playlist.

TimmyMac said...

I once got kicked out of California for driving a car I didn't own carrying both a woman who was neither my wife or girlfriend and a toddler who belonged to neither of us. Also I had no money nor any form of ID (including driver's license). Yet Mr. Highway Patrolman (THE MAN, as I affectionately called him) seemed most upset because I had thrown trash out of the window and littered his beautiful state.

True story . . . maybe I should blog it sometime . . .

shontell said...

AHAHAHAAAAA Nice Tim! And Brent, I don't actually like the Beatles. I can't believe you got caught up in the biggest boy band in history. It hurts me for you. I will love you through this, but you should thank Lolita for talking you up.

digapigmy said...

this is why i don't have serious conversations with girls about music . . . it's silly.

shontell said...

AHAAAA. I can feel our connection growing, Brent.