This Where the Nonsense Turns to Makesense

..A large family working to perfect our sweet skills: Loving others, making an impact, parenting on purpose, living simply, and embracing sarcasm.

Wednesday, February 10, 2010

You Know What I Will Eat Hand Over Fist?


Healthy foods. Why don't I eat them more regularly you ask? Because I am American, and if it isn't convenient I am willing to pay more, eat worse, and skip it all together for something that is. Yes, I blame society for my chubby, junk-food, toddler belly.
OK, I don't really, but, in addition to being American, I am human, so I like to find people or things to blame for my lameness.
So, my goal for the next month is to make healthy living more convenient. Already I have made a healthy trail mix with dried blueberries, dried cranberries, Cheerios, and corn chex. I have washed and diced strawberries, washed and put into containers fresh blueberries, and cut up celery and carrots. I have chopped cauliflower and broccoli in order to easily add them to
a meal, day or night. I have made my menu list for the month, and it is
full of healthy, cheap, simple meals.
Last night's dinner was a perfect example of ease. I made cheese tortellini drizzled
with a smidgen of olive oil, Parmesan cheese, and Italian seasoning.
I quickly steamed the already chopped broccoli for a side dish. Dinner took
15 minutes from fridge to table.
My kids ate like there may not be food at a later date.
My entire meal (not including olive oil and seasoning)
cost a mere $6 for six people. We put two servings of tortellini and broccoli into lunch
containers for the kids to take to school. They fought over who would take them.
In an effort to reduce my 4 month pregnant belly look, I am going to work
at this healthy food and Zumba at the gym as much as possible this month. I am
also doing situps and working at doing more than 4 boy pushups in a row.
Four is my limit, and then I die.

4 comments:

Liz said...

Love it!!!

And sadly missing my tues/wed phone calls...where has my friend gone???

shontell said...

I WILL CALL YOU IN A FEW HOURS! I have a book on tape I am listening to. lol So I have chosen it over you. BAZINGA!

Joelle said...

You are my idol, can I be you when I grow up?

shontell said...

IT'S THE PUSHUPS RIGHT!!!? I am not going to lie; I didn't go down into a full pushup, but I did enough for them to count. I am doing pilates today, and then I am going to try to do 5. FIVE!! I will probably die tonight.