This Where the Nonsense Turns to Makesense

..A large family working to perfect our sweet skills: Loving others, making an impact, parenting on purpose, living simply, and embracing sarcasm.

Friday, March 28, 2008

Reflection

While examining my perception of the issues around me, I was reminded of a teaching I wrote in case one day God calls me to be a grown up and share about him in front of others. Here is an excerpt:

You can find a reflection in many things- a mirror, a window, a pool of water, a prism, a diamond; after a big steak dinner, you can find your reflection in your steak knife and use it to make sure you don’t have anything in your teeth. Reflections can be very handy. They can also be very scary.

Recently, God revealed to me a little of what I am reflecting. I have to tell you folks, it was like one of the ugly step-sisters stole Snow White’s mirror.

Mirrors tend to reflect everything placed in front of them. If you were a mirror, what would you be reflecting? Picture yourself at home-chaos ensuing. Mine looks a little like this-feel free to close your eyes if you get scared:

I step out of a long peaceful hot shower with a grin. I am excited because I got to shave, shampoo AND condition my hair, and use body soap all in one interval. I step out into the living room and my husband who has been left in charge of our children, is vacuuming. I automatically assume he is trying to make a point rather than be helpful. Samuel, my one-year-old is covered in his own hair after my toddler decided to play “barber,” my six-year-old son is screaming hysterically in our front yard, but smiling so I am confused, Layla Grace, 5, is pulling on my towel trying to show me how much of my makeup she was able to fit onto her eyelids, and Isabelle is insanely barking and hopping up and down around my still vacuuming husband as she attempts to get the dog to attack the vacuum.

When I catch my reflection in the bathroom mirror…. I am snarling. As it turns out, I don’t think I am ready to have a dog.

1 Peter 1:7- Trials have come so that your faith-of greater worth than gold, which perishes even though refined by fire, may be proven genuine and may result in praise, glory, and honor when Christ Jesus is revealed.

"Shine your light and let the whole world sing. We're singing for the glory of the risen king, Jesus."

4 comments:

Jenene said...

My reflection right now is SOOO like at the swim meet in Back To School when Derek is in the bleachers and shines the sun from the pocket mirror in the eyes of the diver up on the platform. Not that I'm so bright like the sun, but that I'm blinded by my own reflection and my hands are flailing in front of my eyes to block the glare, causing me to bumble my way off the diving platform in to the pool.

When do I get to do the Tripple Lindy?

scoeyd said...

Hi Shontell-
Hang in there - you're doing well. :)

Unknown said...

I would love to be able to look at my reflection and like what I see...sigh. I love you friend...and am praying for you.

Joelle said...

Your reflection is beautiful. I will pray for you as I have been praying for my reflection because it has been very very ugly this week. miss u