This Where the Nonsense Turns to Makesense

..A large family working to perfect our sweet skills: Loving others, making an impact, parenting on purpose, living simply, and embracing sarcasm.

Wednesday, March 19, 2008

Sayings People Should Never Say

Recently I have notice an unintended cringe when people use certain phrases. This means if you are one of these people, you are causing me physical pain. Do you really want to be responsible for that? Help me out. Plus, feel free to add your own phrases.

*Been there, done that (Really?)
*Not! (Partly because only adults from Omaha use this saying through their still feathered hair, but also because white people feel the need to holler it while acting out the head waggle.)
*Get 'er done (Okay, seriously, that is the hillbilly version of "tap that". Any of you who have previously used this saying for something other than your expectations to get it on with "her" have my permission to reel. "AH CRAP! How DID I use that saying?")
*Help me help you (sigh. This one is just sad.)

And my absolute can't-handle-this-nonsense-phrase-because-it-causes-me-to-twitch saying

*It is what it is. (Who the heck are you, Confucius? Please, next time decide what IT is and just tell me. If I wanted fortune cookie sayings and obscure noun use I would go to a Chinese restaurant.)

12 comments:

scoeyd said...

A few of mine:
God moves in mysterious ways.
This hurts me more than it hurts you.
You go girl.
What, what?!
Let's agree to disagree.


I've got more, but hey, it's your blog. :)

Jessie said...

My faves?

"Fo Shizzle"
"Cool Beans"
"guns don't kill people, people kill people"
"libary"
"should of"

shontell said...

Oh you guys are good! Those are truly painful as well. I totaly forgot to go the religion route. We could be here all night with that path!

David said...

"Great minds think alike."

Really, I thought great minds thought totally unlike anyone else, thus the greatness.

"You'll attract more flies with honey than vinegar."

Awesome, I'm always trying to attract flies.

melaroo said...

"you are da bomb!" (spoken by my grown mother to my father, who has a ponytail, much to my dismay)

oh, and then there was my favorite pick-up line ever, at the libary (specially typed for jess): "so...you read books a lot?"


ha ha! love it. i'll search through the deep dark depths of my brain to find a whole NOTHER bunch of sayings for you. i'm sure they're there!

Jessie said...

Of course... there's my favorite favorite of all. "whole nother"

kris and mel said...

yep....that one's for you too, dear!

Matty C. said...

How can you not enjoy a good ole one liner from Mr. Jerry McGuire? "Help me help you" is awesome. It's classic. I have to disagree Shontell.

Unknown said...

"brutha from anutha mutha"

"whaaaaaaaaazzzzz aaaaaaaaaaa"

"it's all good in the hood"


it would seem that I hang with gangster types.

digapigmy said...

"that being said" may be on the top of my list right now. one of the guys i coach with used to say it so much it became a joke with the other coaches. before long in practice, we started saying "that being said" anytime we addressed the kids.

so many things bug me it seems silly for me to try to list them. i might compile a list of things that don't bug me so the rest of you know how to interact with me in the future.

that being said, thanks for posting.

shontell said...

HAHAAA Brent is the winner for this post. Others can try, but I feel I agree most with his input of "that being said."
Although, I thought of a few more that hurt:
irregardless. Well, for a lot of reasons, but mostly because irregardeless of how many times you use the word irregardless, it will not ever be a word.
"I'm right on that." Unless my brother George was the one saying it. All funniness is added when you are 17 and your mother has asked you ten times to do her the same favor and you are able to cooly reply "I am right on it" as if it were your first time saying such things.
That being said, I would not say such things if I were you!!!

Anonymous said...

oh MY! I am so elated that I am NOT part of society WHO say THOSE words!